TORONTO, ON (December 23, 2008) – On December 26, Report on Business magazine releases the 10th annual list of the 50 Best Employers in Canada. To mark this milestone, Report on Business is putting the spotlight on five firms that have made the list for five years in a row. Adversity, strategic upheavals, and market turbulence notwithstanding, Farm Credit Canada, BC Biomedical Laboratories Ltd., Scotiabank Group, Keg Restaurants Ltd., and Chubb Insurance Co. keep showing up. The latter two have made the 50 Best Employers list for seven and nine years, respectively.
In the December 26 issue, writer Steve Brearton examines how these companies successfully navigate a range of obstacles and challenges to achieve consistently great grades. None of them fear implementing bold strategies,and they all pay attention to old-fashioned HR basics.
“After ten years, we continue to learn something new every year with this exercise,” said Neil Crawford, leader of the Best Employers study at Hewitt Associates. “Given the current economic turmoil being experienced, there’s even more reason to examine the leading practices of Canada’s best workplaces, always a diverse and progressive group of companies.”
The 50 Best Employers in Canada survey is conducted by Report on Business magazine and Hewitt Associates, a leading global human resources outsourcing and consulting firm, and is based on surveys completed by more than 100,000 employees and 2,000 leaders at almost 200 organizations.
The Top 10 companies in this year's 50 Best Employers ranking are:
- EllisDon Corp., London. For the second year in a row, EllisDon, an international construction firm, ranks No. 1.
- PCL Constructors Inc., Edmonton. The Alberta construction company, with more than 1,800 employees, moves into second place from third.
- Bennett Jones LLP, Calgary. The law firm has over 800 staff, and moves to third place from fourth.
- Edward Jones, Mississauga. The financial services brokerage firm, employs over 1,800 people and moved from fifth last year.
- CIMA+, Montreal. The engineering firm with 900 employees shot to a fifth-place ranking from 16th.
- Wellington West Holdings Inc., Winnipeg. Wellington is a financial services company employing over 550 advisers and other employees. It slips from second place last year.
- G&K Services Canada Inc., Mississauga. G&K provides uniforms and laundry services, has more than 1,600 employees. G&K moves into the Top 10 list from 11th place.
- Farm Credit Canada, Regina. The Saskatchewan financial services company has over 1,300 employees and moves from seventh last year.
- BC Biomedical Laboratories Ltd., Surrey. The health care services firm moves into the Top 10 from 21st. BC Biomedical has nearly 600 employees.
- Aecon Group Inc., Toronto. The construction and engineering firm has nearly 900 employees and jumped into 10th spot from 45 last year.
Published on the last Friday of every month in The Globe and Mail, Report on Business magazine offers readers insightful, award-winning coverage of Canadian and global business and economics and is available with copies of The Globe and Mail and online at www.reportonbusiness.com/magazine. The Globe and Mail is a division of CTVglobemedia, a dynamic multimedia company that also owns CTV, Canada’s leading private broadcaster.
© Copyright Canadian Occupational Safety, Thomson Reuters Canada Limited. All rights reserved.