EDMONTON — A tile setter was rushed to hospital Wednesday after the ceiling of a steam room in the Edmonton Eskimos dressing room collapsed on him at Commonwealth Stadium.
Edmonton fire and rescue said the man was left trapped between "a cement bench and the cement ceiling," his head and neck "basically caught in a void."
District Chief John Bower said they had to use airbags to free the victim.
"We're going to blockade off the area where the incident happened and Occupational Health and Safety will be investigating," said Bower. "Then it will be up to Commonwealth Stadium to get engineers in here to see if the structure is safe."
The man's condition was not known, though officials said he was conscious and speaking to paramedics when he was taken to hospital.
Dave Jamieson of the Edmonton Eskimos said the team is hoping the worker will be alright.
"He left the building conscious, breathing and certainly at this point it appears to be as if he's going to be OK," said Jamieson.
City officials said occupational health and safety staff arrived on scene shortly after the incident occurred.
"We are taking this matter seriously," said Joe Kabarchuk, branch manager for building services. "The area was not open to the public at the time of the incident and will remain closed until we complete a full investigation into what occurred."
The stadium was built in 1978 and underwent renovations in 1983 and 2001.
Videos You May Like
Borger Group of Companies is the gold winner in the building and construction category for the 2014 Canada''s Safest Employers Awards.
Cruickshank Construction is the gold winner in the building and construction category for the 2013 Canada''s Safest Employers Awards.