The public consultation process of the statutory review of the workplace health, safety and compensation system in Newfoundland and Labrador is underway, said Minister of Service Nick McGrath.
Consultation sessions will begin mid-January 2013 and continue until the end of February 2013. A schedule of public sessions will be available in the new year.
Earlier this year, the minister of service appointed representatives to a workplace health, safety and compensation commission (WHSCC), which will oversee the statutory review process.
“This is a significant phase of the review process which began earlier this year,” said McGrath, who is also the minister responsible for the WHSCC. “Through consultation with employers, employees, injured workers and key groups we will gain valuable insight into how we can improve the workers’ compensation system to serve better the people of this province.”
A discussion document has been released to key stakeholders to help guide participation in the consultation process. A number of key themes are identified in the document for consideration including:
· maximum compensable assessable earnings (claim benefit ceiling)?
· financial sustainability
· labour market re-entry?
· medical management?
· occupational disease?
· prevention – role of stakeholders
The committee invites submissions and presentations on these themes, or any other matters affecting the workplace compensation system in this province for its consideration.
To register to participate in advance, call the statutory review committee office at 709-778-4804 or email
. The committee will also accept written submissions until March 1, 2013.